|author||Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>||2016-03-03 22:21:02 +0000|
|committer||Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>||2016-03-03 22:21:02 +0000|
Vendor import of llvm 3.8.0 release r262564:vendor/llvm/llvm-release_380-r262564
2 files changed, 47 insertions, 54 deletions
diff --git a/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst b/docs/ReleaseNotes.rst
index 73831f545390..a25429734bbf 100644
@@ -31,25 +31,30 @@ Non-comprehensive list of changes in this release
in the 3.9 release. Please migrate to using CMake. For more information see:
`Building LLVM with CMake <CMake.html>`_
-* The C API function LLVMLinkModules is deprecated. It will be removed in the
- 3.9 release. Please migrate to LLVMLinkModules2. Unlike the old function the
+* We have documented our C API stability guarantees for both development and
+ release branches, as well as documented how to extend the C API. Please see
+ the `developer documentation <DeveloperPolicy.html#c-api-changes>`_ for more
+* The C API function ``LLVMLinkModules`` is deprecated. It will be removed in the
+ 3.9 release. Please migrate to ``LLVMLinkModules2``. Unlike the old function the
* Doesn't take an unused parameter.
* Destroys the source instead of only damaging it.
* Does not record a message. Use the diagnostic handler instead.
-* The C API functions LLVMParseBitcode, LLVMParseBitcodeInContext,
- LLVMGetBitcodeModuleInContext and LLVMGetBitcodeModule have been deprecated.
+* The C API functions ``LLVMParseBitcode``, ``LLVMParseBitcodeInContext``,
+ ``LLVMGetBitcodeModuleInContext`` and ``LLVMGetBitcodeModule`` have been deprecated.
They will be removed in 3.9. Please migrate to the versions with a 2 suffix.
Unlike the old ones the new ones do not record a diagnostic message. Use
the diagnostic handler instead.
-* The deprecated C APIs LLVMGetBitcodeModuleProviderInContext and
- LLVMGetBitcodeModuleProvider have been removed.
+* The deprecated C APIs ``LLVMGetBitcodeModuleProviderInContext`` and
+ ``LLVMGetBitcodeModuleProvider`` have been removed.
-* The deprecated C APIs LLVMCreateExecutionEngine, LLVMCreateInterpreter,
- LLVMCreateJITCompiler, LLVMAddModuleProvider and LLVMRemoveModuleProvider
+* The deprecated C APIs ``LLVMCreateExecutionEngine``, ``LLVMCreateInterpreter``,
+ ``LLVMCreateJITCompiler``, ``LLVMAddModuleProvider`` and ``LLVMRemoveModuleProvider``
have been removed.
* With this release, the C API headers have been reorganized to improve build
@@ -58,21 +63,21 @@ Non-comprehensive list of changes in this release
Core.h so nothing should change for projects directly including the headers,
but transitive dependencies may be affected.
-* llvm-ar now suports thin archives.
+* llvm-ar now supports thin archives.
-* llvm doesn't produce .data.rel.ro.local or .data.rel sections anymore.
+* llvm doesn't produce ``.data.rel.ro.local`` or ``.data.rel`` sections anymore.
-* aliases to available_externally globals are now rejected by the verifier.
+* Aliases to ``available_externally`` globals are now rejected by the verifier.
-* the IR Linker has been split into IRMover that moves bits from one module to
+* The IR Linker has been split into ``IRMover`` that moves bits from one module to
another and Linker proper that decides what to link.
* Support for dematerializing has been dropped.
-* RegisterScheduler::setDefault was removed. Targets that used to call into the
- command line parser to set the DAGScheduler, and that don't have enough
- control with setSchedulingPreference, should look into overriding the
- SubTargetHook "getDAGScheduler()".
+* ``RegisterScheduler::setDefault`` was removed. Targets that used to call into the
+ command line parser to set the ``DAGScheduler``, and that don't have enough
+ control with ``setSchedulingPreference``, should look into overriding the
+ ``SubTargetHook`` "``getDAGScheduler()``".
* ``ilist_iterator<T>`` no longer has implicit conversions to and from ``T*``,
since ``ilist_iterator<T>`` may be pointing at the sentinel (which is usually
@@ -84,7 +89,7 @@ Non-comprehensive list of changes in this release
* ``ilist_node<T>::getNextNode()`` and ``ilist_node<T>::getPrevNode()`` now
fail at compile time when the node cannot access its parent list.
Previously, when the sentinel was was an ``ilist_half_node<T>``, this API
- could return the sentinal instead of ``nullptr``. Frustrated callers should
+ could return the sentinel instead of ``nullptr``. Frustrated callers should
be updated to use ``iplist<T>::getNextNode(T*)`` instead. Alternatively, if
the node ``N`` is guaranteed not to be the last in the list, it is safe to
call ``&*++N->getIterator()`` directly.
@@ -106,32 +111,13 @@ Non-comprehensive list of changes in this release
variables are converted to calls to ``__emutls_get_address`` in the runtime
-* MSVC compatible exception handling has been completely overhauled. New
+* MSVC-compatible exception handling has been completely overhauled. New
instructions have been introduced to facilitate this:
`New exception handling instructions <ExceptionHandling.html#new-exception-handling-instructions>`_.
While we have done our best to test this feature thoroughly, it would
not be completely surprising if there were a few lingering issues that
early adopters might bump into.
- For small 1-3 sentence descriptions, just add an entry at the end of
- this list. If your description won't fit comfortably in one bullet
- point (e.g. maybe you would like to give an example of the
- functionality, or simply have a lot to talk about), see the `NOTE` below
- for adding a new subsection.
-* ... next change ...
- If you would like to document a larger change, then you can add a
- subsection about it right here. You can copy the following boilerplate
- and un-indent it (the indentation causes it to be inside this comment).
- Special New Feature
- Makes programs 10x faster by doing Special New Thing.
Changes to the ARM Backends
@@ -160,7 +146,7 @@ During this release the ARM target has:
* Gained some additional code size improvements, though there's still a long road
ahead, especially for older cores.
* Added some EABI floating point comparison functions to Compiler-RT
-* Added support for Windows+GNU triple, +features in -mcpu/-march options.
+* Added support for Windows+GNU triple, ``+features`` in ``-mcpu``/``-march`` options.
Changes to the MIPS Target
@@ -177,10 +163,10 @@ During this release the MIPS target has:
* Added support for the ``ERETNC`` instruction found in MIPS32R5 and later.
* Added support for OpenCL. See http://portablecl.org/.
- * Address spaces 1 to 255 are now reserved for software use and conversions
- between them are no-op casts.
+* Address spaces 1 to 255 are now reserved for software use and conversions
+ between them are no-op casts.
-* Removed the ``mips16`` value for the -mcpu option since it is an :abbr:`ASE
+* Removed the ``mips16`` value for the ``-mcpu`` option since it is an :abbr:`ASE
(Application Specific Extension)` and not a processor. If you were using this,
please specify another CPU and use ``-mips16`` to enable MIPS16.
* Removed ``copy_u.w`` from 32-bit MSA and ``copy_u.d`` from 64-bit MSA since
@@ -212,8 +198,6 @@ fixes:
* Added support for atomic load and atomic store.
* Corrected debug info when dynamically re-aligning the stack.
We have made a large number of improvements to the integrated assembler for
MIPS. In this release, the integrated assembler isn't quite production-ready
since there are a few known issues related to bare-metal support, checking
@@ -227,14 +211,31 @@ If you would like to try the integrated assembler, please use
Changes to the PowerPC Target
- During this release ...
+There are numerous improvements to the PowerPC target in this release:
+* Shrink wrapping optimization has been enabled for PowerPC Little Endian
+* Direct move instructions are used when converting scalars to vectors
+* Thread Sanitizer (TSAN) is now supported for PowerPC
+* New MI peephole pass to clean up redundant XXPERMDI instructions
+* Add branch hints to highly biased branch instructions (code reaching
+ unreachable terminators and exceptional control flow constructs)
+* Promote boolean return values to integer to prevent excessive usage of
+ condition registers
+* Additional vector APIs for vector comparisons and vector merges have been
+ added to altivec.h
+* Many bugs have been identified and fixed
Changes to the X86 Target
- During this release ...
* TLS is enabled for Cygwin as emutls.
* Smaller code for materializing 32-bit 1 and -1 constants at ``-Os``.
@@ -262,8 +263,6 @@ road to being completely merged and workable.
Changes to the OCaml bindings
- During this release ...
* The ocaml function link_modules has been replaced with link_modules' which
@@ -302,4 +301,3 @@ going into the ``llvm/docs/`` directory in the LLVM tree.
If you have any questions or comments about LLVM, please feel free to contact
us via the `mailing lists <http://llvm.org/docs/#maillist>`_.
diff --git a/docs/index.rst b/docs/index.rst
index a69ecfedc580..6cbce6321643 100644
@@ -1,11 +1,6 @@
- If you are using a released version of LLVM, see `the download page
- <http://llvm.org/releases/>`_ to find your documentation.
The LLVM compiler infrastructure supports a wide range of projects, from
industrial strength compilers to specialized JIT applications to small